The following notes have been designed to assist you when handing your property back to the landlord at the end of the tenancy. To ensure a full return of your deposit, it is advisable that you read the guidelines below and take the appropriate action.
The Inventory will be checked at the end of the tenancy, at which time any variances or discrepancies will be recorded. Missing or damaged items that are not considered as ‘fair wear and tear’ will be the responsibility of the tenant to pay for repair, replacement, making good, cleaning or any other required process.
1) Ensure that the property has been left in a good, clean condition throughout and all of your personal items have been completely removed.
2) All items should be returned to exactly the same position as they are listed on the Inventory.
3) Painted walls must be returned in original colour as on move in date, unless specific permission has been granted by the landlord.
4) All windows, mirrors and glass items should be cleaned and polished.
5) All woodwork, skirting, dado rails, picture rails, frames, shelving, cabinets, etc. should be cleaned and polished.
6) Any soft furnishings such as carpets, curtains, etc. should be laundered/washed and be free of stains and left clean.
7) All walls and ceilings should be dusted, wiped over (where necessary) and be free of excessive wear.
8) All kitchen appliances including cookers, hobs, microwave ovens, washing machines, tumble dryers, etc. should be cleaned free of residues, grease and stains.
9) All kitchen cupboards should be cleaned and emptied of your food and belongings.
10) Fridges and freezers should be emptied of food, defrosted and cleaned thoroughly. Please leave switched off and with their doors left open.
11) Cooker extractors should be cleaned and their filters changed if necessary.
12) Bathrooms should be cleaned thoroughly and all sealant and grouting should be free of staining or mould.
13) All light bulbs should be present and in working order.
14) All picture hooks, tacks, screws, nails or other fittings installed by you should be removed and any damage made good.
15) Gardens should be in a well maintained condition for the time of year, including the cutting of lawns.
16) A mail forwarding service should be set up by you to ensure that any post reaches you at your new address.
Last Update: April 2, 2020